Honey Grove Texas History
Serving all of Honey Grove Texas
Resources by City
* = unincorporated
The Sweetest Town in Texas, a History
The City of Honey Grove is served by the Honey Grove Independent School District.
People of note:
Erwin Evans Smith – a famous chronicler of life on the plains and ranches of the American West through his photographs of western scenes.
There are several Historical Markers. The town is full of lovely Victorian Homes. Several of them have third floor ballrooms. Around the turn of the century, the social life was very active in Honey Grove. There are also some other homes built in unique architectural styles.
David (Davy) Crockett discovered the area of Honey Grove when he camped there on his way to join the Texas Army at San Antonio in 1836. The town was named Honey Grove because Davy sent letters back to Tennessee, telling of an area with an abundance of honey-filled trees.
In 1837, Samuel Erwin became the first settler of the place. Samuel Erwin and Davy Crockett, old friends from Kentucky, were instrumental in the founding of Honey Grove. A surveyor by profession, Erwin arrived in 1837 and surveyed land grants for other pioneers. Erwin platted the townsite for his friend B.S. Wolcott in 1848. Walcott contributed much to the town’s development, by planning the city’s landscape and later on selling building lots. Erwin was the town’s first postmaster and one of Fannin County’s earliest Justices of the Peace.
The Crockett Park Monument, in the same area, indicates that Honey Grove was named by Crockett The monument about Crockett traveling by riverboat, horseback and on foot. He entered Texas along the Red River and camped at a site half a mile northeast of the park. There he found wild bees and honey in hollow trees and called the campsite a “Honey Grove”. It is said that he told friends he would settle here later, but in a few weeks he died in the cause of Texian liberty, at the Alamo.
In 1873 Honey Grove was officially established.