Fannin County, Tx.
Named for James Walker Fannin, Jr.
Fannin County was created from Red River County and founded in 1837. It is named for James Fannin, who commanded the group of Texans killed in the Goliad Massacre during the Texas Revolution. The county seat is Bonham, named for James Bonham, who sought Fannin’s aid at the Battle of the Alamo.
Fannin County covers 895 square miles. Of this, the majority is blackland, with a claypan area in the north near the Red River. The land has ranges of moderately rolling hills throughout the county. The center point of the county is at approximately 33°30′ north latitude and 96°10′ west longitude.
The natural flora consists of oak, hickory, ash, walnut, pecan, cottonwood, elm, cedar, and Bois D’Arc trees, as well as redbud, spicewood, dogwood, pawpaw, and dwarf buckeye.
|County||Resources by City|
* = unincorporated # = WikiPedia page
Fannin County, Tx. History:
In 1687 the area was occupied by the Caddo Indians. By 1836 the Caddoes had joined a larger group known as the Cherokees and their Twelve Associated Bands. The first Anglo-Americans settlers arrived by riverboat at Jonesborough.
On October 5, 1837, Dr. Daniel Rowlett requested a new county be formed from Red River County west of Bois D’Arc Creek. Independence was to be the name of the county, but was changed to Fannin, in honor of James Walker Fannin, Jr., a martyred hero of the Texas Revolution.
On December 14, 1837, the residence of Jacob Black was designated the state house until a more suitable location could be found. The first county road, from Rocky Ford Crossing to Daniel Montague’s plantation was legislated at Black’s cabin. The road passed through Fort Warren and bridged Bois D’Arc Creek.
On November 28, 1839, an act was passed by Congress to define the boundaries of Fannin County. These boundaries were later to include Grayson, Collin, Cooke, Denton, Montague, Wise, Clay, Jack, Wichita, Archer, Young, Wilbarger, Baylor, Throckmorton, Hardeman, Foard, Knox, Haskell, Stonewall, King, Cottle, and Childress counties, as well as parts of Hunt and Collingsworth counties. The present-day boundaries were established and approved on March 14, 1846.
Other Listings and Places in Fannin County, Tx.:
Fannin County is a major crossroad. There are 2 U.S. Highways – US 82, U.S. Highway 69 – and 6 State Highways – State Highway 11, State Highway 34, State Highway 50, State Highway 56, State Highway 78, State Highway 121 – that cross Fannin county.