Named after the Choctaw Nation of Native Americans
The County of Choctaw was created at statehood in 1907 and takes its name from the Indian tribal name, “Chahta.” The 1860 Choctaw Nation constitution divided the Nation into 3 districts; Pushmataha, Apukshunubbee, and Mushulatubbee. Each district was further divided into counties. Present day Choctaw County was created in 1907 out of the districts of Apukshunubbee and Pushmataha and contains portions of Jackson, Kiamitia (Kiamichi), Cedar and Towson counties of the Choctaw Nation.
|County||Resources by City|
* = unincorporated # = WikiPedia page
Adjacent counties are; Pushmataha County, McCurtain County, Red River County (Texas), Lamar County (Texas), Bryan County, and Atoka County.
Other information and places in Choctaw County, Oklahoma:
Click images for larger view and gallery
Choctaw County has much to see. The Frisco Depot Museum in Hugo is full of history. Restoration began in the Harvey House Restaurant and progressed though out both floors of the old depot. Items of local and county-wide historical interest (artifacts, documents and pictures) are currently on display along with a miniature railroad, a miniature five-ring circus and a moonshine still.
The major natural water feature in Choctaw County is the Kiamichi River, which drains northwest to southeast into the Red River. The Muddy Boggy and Clear Boggy rivers (creeks) also drain into the Red.
The Hugo Lake dam is located on the Kiamichi River 18 river miles upstream from its confluence with the Red River. It is about seven miles east of Hugo, Oklahoma, and 30 miles north of Paris, Texas. Hugo Lake has quiet campgrounds with plenty of elbow room. The beautiful wooded campgrounds provide the perfect setting for a relaxing visit. The large parks and miles of paved roads are ideal for cycling, jogging, hiking or horseback riding. Raccoon Road in Kiamichi Park provides nine horse stalls for equestrian campers. Hugo Dam (click for photo) provides steps and a walkway to the edge of the spillway for fishing.
Hugo Lake State Park, nestled in beautiful Southeast Oklahoma, has quickly become a favorite get away spot for people from all over the United States as well as our neighbors across the sea.
Raymond Gary State Park is located in southeast Oklahoma on the shores of Raymond Gary Lake. The lake offers fishing, boating and swimming. Camping and picnic facilities are available, and include RV sites, tent sites, group pavilions, comfort stations with showers, a playground, swim beach and cabin rentals.
The U.S. Army established Fort Towson, the second oldest fort in Indian Territory, in 1824. The Choctaw people began settling in the area in 1831-32 after their removal from the American South. The Fort Towson Historical Site, called “Cantonment Towson“, was named for Gen. Nathan Towson, a hero of the War of 1812. The post was established as a fortification on the international boundary with Mexico (Texas), and as a curb to lawlessness in the region. It was also intended to serve as a buffer between Plains Indians to the west and the Choctaw, who were slated for removal to the area from Mississippi.
Important people include;
- Robert M. Jones, a wealthy Choctaw planter who built an elegant southern mansion that he named Rose Hill (burned in 1912).
- County Judge Thomas W. Hunter, called “the Godfather of the Choctaw,” hailed from Boswell and began his career as a teacher at Jones Academy.
- Joel Spring, titled “the Father of Hugo.” When the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway built a line through the Choctaw Nation in 1902, this Goodland merchandise-store operator moved to Hugo.
- Oklahoma Gov. William Judson Holloway, who in 1929 succeeded Henry S. Johnston after his impeachment.
As the railroad became more important, Hugo developed into a commercial center. The Webb Hotel was one of the most important stops on the line. Reportedly, in the 1920s sixteen passenger trains per day stopped at the town, enabling travelers to take advantage of the Webb’s facilities. Though no longer offering passenger service, the Kiamichi Railroad (KRR) remains in operation and is based in Hugo.
Major highways include; Highway 70, Highway 271, State Highway 93, and the Indian Nation Turnpike.