As a child I traveled New Mexico quite a bit with my parents, Uncle, Aunt and cousins. Far from being an expert, I do believe I know a bit about the area. 🙂
Cloudcroft is a favorite place of mine. It is a town on the top of a mountain and … well, it is a town on the top of a mountain. It is a good place to visit on its own merits, and, it makes a great base location to visit several interesting places.
Cloudcroft, New Mexico is….
- 16 miles from the Space Museum, Alameda Park Zoo, and Toy Train Depot in Alamogordo.
- On your way down the mountain, enjoy the many scenic turnouts and the tunnel.
- 40 miles from casino wagering and golf at the Inn of the Mountain Gods.
- This is located on the Mescalero Apache Reservation, home of the Mescalero Apache Tribe.
- 50 miles from Ruidoso Downs.
- Located in the City of Ruidoso Downs, it is the place to go if you like horse racing.
- 40 miles from White Sands National Monument.
- I hope you have read the article on White Sands. If not, go here.
- 150 miles from Carlsbad Caverns.
- Go here to learn about the caverns. I have been there many times. It never grows old.
- 90 miles from El Paso and the Mexican border.
- While not in New Mexico. it is a scenic and historic town.
- Within 50 miles of 8 magnificent golf courses.
- If you like golf, what more could you ask? 😉
I am not a golf person, although my father was … No, I like the scenery and other attractions. Along with the above attractions, I would suggest:
Valley of Fires Lava Flow located just a few miles West of Carrizozo, this flow occurred 1500 years ago. Follow the self-guided trail through the flow to see the amazing lava formations. It is worth the visit. Unless things have changed, you can even camp there overnight.